Saturday, January 19, 2013

Playing Catch-up

Ok, ok, ok.  I know I'm two days behind.  I blame my parents.  Ever since I found out that they actually semi-religiously read my blog, I've shied away.  Ok, maybe that's not the reason.  Maybe I've been a little busy with work, and trying to count calories, read books, and generally be a good person.  Yeah, that's probably the reason.  Or maybe, I just had nothing good to write about rhymes or advice.  Or maybe, it's procrastination.  Yeah, that's probably the reason.

January 17 (two days late):  RHYME
Have you ever actually listened to some of your favorite music?  I went through a weird phase a long time ago, that instead of singing to the music at the top of my lungs, I listened to the words.  I tried to understand what they were singing about.  Most of all, I wondered if the things musicians sang about were actual life issues or just made up, because it was easy to sing about.  

On a less philosophical note, I noticed (among other things), that often the words in popular songs don't rhyme.  In fact, it's not even close.  Take for example, LFO's Summer Girls, ok, that's weird example, but it's one I remember.  "New Kids on the Block had a bunch of hits."  "Chinese food makes me sick."  Seriously.  You can't make this stuff up.  I mean, they did, but I didn't.

January 18 (one day late):  ADVICE
Yesterday, the day I should've (why does should've always have a red squiggly line under it?  It's a word!) blogged, I spent a couple hours in a group interview for student workers.  So, the advice I'm going to share with the five people that read my blog, are things I noticed in that setting.  These things should be common knowledge, but were not in this case.

Be punctual.  Timing is everything.  You have to assume that is your very first impression to the interviewer.  Others can fail with the first impression, but by the time that happens, you were already way behind.  Try to be normal.  Nervousness is normal, especially in this setting.  Although it may feel like it's taking over your entire body, don't overcompensate.  There's nervous, normal, and crazy.  Crazy isn't going to get you the job.  It'll get you noticed, duh.  But, not in a good way.  Maintain some boundaries.  You don't know these people.  They don't know you.  Show the true you that you strive to be every day.  Being yourself will give the interviewers a good vision of what you'll look like in various situations that specific position will encounter.  Above all, think.  Think before you answer questions.  This isn't necessarily the early bird catches the worm scenario.  People that think on their feet are great.  People that think more clearly after given a moment to process are sometimes better. Oh, and wear sunscreen.  No, just kidding, the interview wasn't outside.  But it's a good ending line.  And it makes sense.  And it's good advice.

January 19 (not late at all...Boom!):  SUPERPOWER
While interviewing for other student positions, we asked "If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why?"  It broke up the monotonous "Why should we pick you?" and "Tell us how you work in a team" questions.  It also loosened up the candidates.  We received answers all over the board.  One would like to control the weather.  Another wanted to be able to speed-read books (for both academics and pleasure.  One wanted to fly.  A couple wanted to time travel.

After hearing all their answers, I tried to formulate mine.  I often have dreams where I fly high across the land, through the clouds, and look down at people who resemble ants.  Nah, that's out.  I've lately been joking that I want to rearrange the states (putting Virginia and Ohio side by side of course).  Is that even a superpower?  What is that called?  Nah.  I think if I could pay for something for me and just me, it would be my own road.  This one road, that is a one way street of course (because I'm the only one on it, duh) goes from my current home to my childhood home, work, and some favorite places.  Knowing that the construction on this private road will probably drain my bank account, I'll go back to superpowers, in hopes that they are free, somehow.  I would like to be able to snap my fingers (similar to how in I Dream of Jeannie, she twitches her nose) and travel to anywhere of my liking.  That'll save time, money, and packing issues (since I'll have to have my luggage in my other hand, of course). Likely I will go to the normal places, that my private imaginary road would lead, but I'd rather snap.  Yeah, snapping's easy.  Can I contact the people sponsoring the blog challenge to cash in on this superpower?

No comments:

Post a Comment