Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Homemade Memories

With the holiday season over with, the decorations have went back to their eleven-month storage home (aka giant totes stuffed into my closet).  Every year though, the same items remain out.  I wonder what to do with them, knowing I cannot and will not throw them away.  They will eventually end up in another tote/box/tin/drawer/nook.  I have often thought, there must be something I can do with these.  Each one hand-crafted with personality, thoughtfulness, love, and careful dedication.

Greeting cards!  What did you think I was talking about?  It doesn't matter the occasion.  Christmas, birthdays, Valentine's Day, or none at all.  Cards have a homemade feel to them, even if they were purchased at the local grocery store or tourist trap.  Obviously, there a variety of beautiful cards:  giant obnoxious cards, postcards, photo cards, handmade cards, musical cards, and even pop-up cards.

Each tells a story.  Where did it come from?  What is your relationship with the sender?  What treasured memories are stored inside your heart about them?  Not all of these cards have a long handwritten story inside.  But, in this exact example, it's the thought that counts.  The sender thought of you when sending out their cards.  It was intentional.  You were on their list.  

Behold, our most recent Christmas, Birthday, and just because cards.
Now, after scouring pinterest, I have found something I can probably do.  A greeting card book to exhibit the cards that I have been hoarding for the past 20+ years.  I do get this gene from my mother and her mother.  It runs deep.  The way I see it, these cards (or other mementos) meant (mean) something.  Most people live in the present and look towards the future.  These are my connection to the past.  Sometimes cards (or other treasures) spark a memory that triggers an emotion.  These cards are worth keeping, preserving, and putting some time and effort into holding on to them for forever.

Every year, we do a photo card (with unblurred names, of course).  It's easy to make and a great way of sharing pictures.  I'm thinking ours will be mixed in with the rest of the cards we receive.  They are just a reminder of the past and how far we've gone since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment