Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Recently

Straying from the prompts today...instead, see below.

Recently read:  A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty by Joshilyn Jackson 
(spoiler free is the way to be!)
The book centers around three generations of women in one family.  The oldest, Big, gave birth to her "wild child" at age 15.  Wild child, Liza, gave birth to her baby at age 15.  The now 15 year-old Mosey, is being watched like a hawk for this "gene."  If only that was the family's only problem...

Early in the story, we learn that Liza collapsed at her daughter's school function and never really recovered.  From what I imagine, it seems like she had a stroke.  Unfortunately, this character hits a little close to home.  Tangent alert!  My grandmother suffered from an aneurysm a few years ago.  After a routine procedure, she was fine.  If she wasn't in a hospital gown and bed, you wouldn't have known anything was wrong.  Later on, something happened.  A stroke, probably, but I don't remember all the details.  My grandma is in a nursing home, where she has resided for at least the last three years.  Hold on, I'm going to take this explanation full circle.  On a good day, she speaks some and laughs and smiles.  I know that my Grandma I know and love is in there, she just is unable to show it like I'm used to.  I am also sure that she understands everything I say or do, pictures she sees, and emotions I am unable to hide.  

The Liza character in the book is mentally stable, just unable to speak in a language that is understandable by the average human.  The book's chapters are categorized by the person's point of view (Big, Liza, and Mosey) and alternates between all of them.  Liza's made me think of Grandma every time.  Her struggles just forming a seemingly simple word, like cup, seem unreal.  Sometimes other words come out instead of what was meant.  But I've seen the same look on my grandma's face and heard words that don't necessarily make sense.  Liza's internal struggle to make sense and help her family understand goes on throughout the book, pulling at my heartstrings each time (exactly the way I feel with my grandma).  Anyway...the book has quite a few twists and turns that are semi-believable and seeing each person's perspective is interesting.

Like all movies I've seen, I will give it a "Netflix rating" of four out of five.  The book started a little too slow for me, and I almost gave up.  Once the story started unfolding, I became more interested and couldn't put it down.

Recently watched:  The season finale of Downton Abbey
Most people my age do not watch Downton Abbey, or maybe that's just how I feel.  I must admit, I didn't watch it until recently.  I watched the whole first season on Netflix in a matter of a week.  Season two is not on Netflix or anywhere that I could find...so I gave in and bought a month's worth of Hulu.  Season two took only a few days.  And now?  Finale of season three?  Bahhhhh.

Without ruining anything from the show, season, or episode...I'd like to respond to the overwhelming feedback from viewers.  Actors and actresses are people, too.  They have lives outside of their English ways in Downton.  These people are able to make their own decisions and sometimes their choices may not align with lovers of the show...tough.  Yep, that's how I feel.  Oh, and for those wondering...I will continue watching the English wonder, despite the changes.  Sure, I jumped on the bandwagon and started watching way late.  But, I'm not a fair weather fan...until something drastic (this isn't drastic, this is life) happens, I will continue enjoying the trivial happenings of Downton Abbey.

No comments:

Post a Comment